Both teams want to be bowlable in the final
STATESBORO – The Georgia Southern football team wraps up the regular season Saturday at Allen E. Paulson Stadium when it hosts App State. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:02 p.m. and will be streamed online via ESPN+. The game will also be available over radio on the Georgia Southern Sports Network. Here’s everything you need to know about the game:
Matchday Guide (PDF)
Match day stadium map (PDF)
Clear baggage policy (PDF)
Game 12: Saturday 26 Nov 2022 • 6pm
Location: Statesboro, Georgia (Allen E. Paulson Stadium; 25,000)
Special offers: SENIOR DAY/BLUE OUT
App Status: 6-5, 3-4 SBC
Georgia South: 5-6, 2-5 SBC
Broadcast: ESPN+ (online)
PBP: Danny Waugh; Analyst: Cole Neely; Sideline: Emily Grace McWhorter
GS: GAME NOTES
Within the series
overall balance App State leads, 21-15-1
In Statesboro GS leads, 10-7
In Bone App State leads, 14-5-1
At neutral Never met
Clark vs. GS 2-0
Helton vs. App State Never met
Helton vs. Clark Never met
Current streak App Status, 2 Won (2020–2021)
last meeting App Stand 27, GS 3 (2021)
Longest GS streak Four (2000-2002)
Longest app state streak three (four times)
Biggest GS win 47 points (2004 at Statesboro)
Biggest App State Win 59 points (1939 at Boone)
GS vs current Sun Belt members 66-65-1
GS versus North Carolina teams 59-29
GS in the state of Georgia 224-65-1
- Georgia Southern and App State have met 37 times, with the Mountaineers leading 21-15-1 in a streak dating back to 1932. This is the third year in a row that the two have finished the regular season.
- App State has won eight of their last 11 games to give them an advantage in the series.
- The two schools fought as members of the Southern Conference from 1993 to 2013. The teams have played every year since 1993, including twice in 2001.
- With 37 games played, App Georgia Southern is the most-played opponent in program history.
- The winner of Saturday’s game qualifies for the bowl while the loser’s season is over.
- Twenty-one seniors will be honored before the game as they play their final game at Paulson Stadium.
Countdown to kick-off
10: The eagles won 10 of 17 games against the Mountaineers in Statesboro.
9: Georgia Southern and Appalachian State win together nine FCS (I-AA) national championships.
8: App State won eight of last 11 games played to hold a 21-15-1 lead in the series. With 37 games played, App Georgia Southern is the most-played opponent in program history.
7: Georgia Southern is ranked seventh in the FBS with only three lost fumbles in the season. If that number holds, it would set a school record for fewest fumbles lost in a season.
6: The Eagles failed to reach 30 points six of the last seven games against App State (2-5).
5: Only five Offensive players have started all 11 games so far for the Eagles with three of them on the offensive line: Caleb Kelly, Khalil Crowder, Logan Langemeier and Pichon Wimbley. Only three defensive players were in the starting eleven in all eleven games.
4: receiver Khaleb Hood scored his fourth Career touchdown last Saturday against Marshall, a 27-yard scoring catch and run late in the first half.
3: Saturday’s games marks the third straight season – and only those third th time in program history – that Georgia Southern and App State end the regular season by playing each other.
2: head coach Tone Helton is in the center of his only second same season, three games losing streak as head coach. His other came at USC at the end of the 2018 season.
1: one continues. one done. The winner of Saturday’s game qualifies for the bowl while the loser’s season is over.